Ben Thomson* Content marketing is one of the best ways for law firms to attract new clients and build their reputation online, but it’s also a strategy that can quickly fail if not approached correctly.
A successful content marketing campaign, when executed properly, provides your audience with valuable insight into your expertise and thought leadership skills. This is a great help in finding new leads.
Therefore, 66% of content marketers plan to increase their marketing budget in 2022. However, law firms typically do not have much marketing experience.
Lacking knowledge and expertise, law firms can fall into common content marketing pitfalls. You can avoid them by reading this guide to content marketing mistakes law firms should avoid.
try to do everything yourself
Law firms should avoid trying to do everything themselves when it comes to content marketing. This can be difficult because content marketing takes a lot of time and effort, and it’s tempting to try to do it all yourself.
However, no matter how hard you try, multitasking doesn’t work. Studies show that very few people can multitask effectively.
Doing content marketing yourself can reduce the quality, consistency, and effectiveness of your content marketing efforts. Therefore, leveraging the expertise of content marketing professionals is essential. Because they help you create engaging and engaging content for your target audience.
This maximizes the effectiveness of your content marketing and ensures your law firm reaches its goals.
We can partner with a marketing company to help you with your content marketing. According to IBISWorld data, there are approximately 7,761 digital advertising agencies in the United States. Among these, you can choose a suitable marketing agency based on your expertise and requirements.
Marketing Services for Law Firms gives you peace of mind with quality, engaging content that helps attract website visitors and convert them into leads.
No clear content goals
Having clear and documented content goals is essential to successful content marketing. According to the findings of The State of Content Marketing report by Semrush, 78% of successful content marketers had a clearly defined marketing strategy in place.
Having a clear marketing plan, including content marketing, and knowing exactly who, why and when to target is essential. Take a closer look at your battle plan to be fully aware of what you’re doing and how you’re trying to reach your goals.
This article by legal marketing expert Kevin Vermeulen has some great tips on marketing a law firm.
When creating content goals:
- specifically: Make sure your goals are clear and concise. When setting your content marketing goals, it’s important to be as specific as possible. For example, just saying you need more clients isn’t enough information to determine if you’ve met your objectives. and these new clients come from referrals or repeat business.
- Measurable: Content goals should be easily measured to see if they are met. To do this effectively with content marketing, it’s a good idea to create metrics on how many people are consuming your content and what channels they use to consume it. This way, when clients send quarterly report cards with their progress reports, they can see if there have been any changes from the previous quarter.
- What is achievable: You should set realistic expectations for yourself based on your previous performance levels and your anticipated growth opportunities over time. There should be no excuses if nothing is stopping them from achieving their goals.
Not focused on local SEO
As a local law firm, most of our clients are locals. All states have different laws and regulations in addition to common federal laws. Therefore, people are looking for local attorneys and lawyers who are experts and know the local regulations.
By going local, you can attract these customers through effective content marketing initiatives.
SEO is essential for any business if you want to get more people to know your business and get more clients. Local SEO is special after all. Because it shows up when people search for things that are geographically nearby. This means that some of these searches result in clicks from customers looking for businesses in their area.
The same is true if someone types something like “lawyers near me” into Google. If you just type “lawyer”, it will not appear on page 1, but if you search for “lawyer +” etc. [your city name]is more likely to show results to people searching within 30 miles of your office.
What’s more, it means they come to your office after doing an online survey, where you can convert them into customers. About 78% of consumers use the internet to find local businesses Given, this can get you a huge number of clients.
It is very important for small business owners to understand how keywords work. Keywords are words that help search engines find your content and drive traffic to your website.
Researching the right keywords for your business can be difficult, but it’s worth it.
However, when creating website content, over-stuffing keywords can be detrimental in terms of SEO and overall user experience. Here are some tips for not stuffing your content with keywords:
- Don’t fill your headlines with long-tail phrases that no one will search for. It just frustrates readers who leave the site quickly if they don’t find what they’re looking for when they visit. Instead, write short headlines that answer questions someone might have before clicking.
- Avoid throwing dozens of long-tailed phrases into long paragraphs without giving much thought to whether they make sense. Doing so makes it difficult to read for both humans and machines. Unless there is another way to use all synonyms, it is recommended to use at most one or two synonyms.
Backlinks are the most important factor in SEO.
According to The State of Backlinks for SEO survey respondents, 67.5% believe it is a factor that has a significant impact on SEO.
Backlinks show that other people trust your content and find it valuable, so you want others to see it too. It also shows what others believe to be essential, which can make you more credible as a lawyer and more credible to your clients.
So how do you get backlinks? Ask for them.
A great way to do this is by participating in communities on social media such as Twitter and LinkedIn, or commenting when you find relevant blogs via Google or Bing searches.
You can also include links in emails, presentations, and articles if it’s appropriate for the context of what you’re doing.
Content marketing summary
Content marketing is a great way to reach more potential customers and grow your business, but it can be very time consuming. If you’re looking for an easier solution, we recommend using a service like Content Samurai to create quality content.
With this tool, you can take all the guesswork out of creating compelling content that engages your prospects and give you more time to focus on what matters: serving your customers.
Ben Thomson is an experienced SEO and content marketing professional who has consulted and written on legal marketing and legal SEO for many publications, including LawFuel. He last wrote about content marketing here. Contact information is as follows: [email protected]