Google has started rolling out the fourth version of the Product Reviews Update. This is an update to the search ranking algorithm targeted at ranking the most useful and useful product review related content on the web for searchers. The first product review update started on April 8, 2021, the second started on December 1, 2021, the third released on March 23, 2022, and the fourth is now on July 0222 Released on the 27th of May. Named July 2022 Product Review Update.
Google announced this update on Twitter Browse standard help documentation on how to write a product review.
Updates to Google Product Reviews. The Google Product Reviews update is intended to encourage review content beyond much of the templated information found on the web. Google says it promotes these types of product reviews in its search result rankings.
Google does not directly penalize low-quality product reviews that “are simply thin summaries of many products.” However, if you provide content like that and your rankings drop because other content is promoted above you, it definitely feels like a penalty. It’s not a penalty for your content. Google will simply provide sites with more insightful review content and rank them higher than yours.
Technically, this update only affects product review content, not other types of content.
what’s new Unlike the product review update in March, this update does not appear to change the ranking criteria in any particular way. Google is probably updating their algorithms and making minor tweaks.
roll out. The rollout “will take two to three weeks to complete,” Google said. Not surprising as these updates and core updates typically take weeks to roll out. You should expect most of the ranking volatility to occur during the early stages of this rollout.
What is affected? Google said the update could affect people “creating product reviews in any language” in the future, but Google said the first rollout would be “product reviews in English.” Google added that it has seen “positive effects” from this update in the past, and that the search company “plans to start supporting product reviews in more languages” in the future.
Please note that these updates are very large and can be almost identical to core updates.
Previous advice on updating product reviews. “Overall, we aim to provide users with content that provides insightful analysis and original research, written by experts and enthusiasts who know the topic well,” Google said in a statement. are focused on,” he said. This is similar advice to the core update recommendations above, but here’s a list of “additional useful questions to consider when it comes to product reviews”. , we encourage you to answer these questions. Do a product review…
- Do you wish to express your product expertise?
- Do you want your own content to show what your product is physically like or how it is used beyond what the manufacturer provides?
- Do you provide quantitative measurements of how your product measures in different categories of performance?
- Describe how your product differs from your competitors.
- Would you like to highlight similar products to consider or describe the best product for a particular application or situation?
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a particular product based on research?
- Describe how your product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues, or help users make purchasing decisions.
- Do you identify the key decision drivers for your product’s categories and how the product performs in those areas? , may decide to evaluate performance in these areas.
- Describe key choices regarding how the product was designed and how it impacts users beyond what the manufacturer says?
- Please provide evidence such as images, audio, or other links of your own experience with the product to support your expertise and strengthen the credibility of your review.
- Include links to multiple merchants to give readers the option to purchase from a merchant of their choice.
Google also linked to a blog post earlier this year about providing better product information to shoppers.
Google has added three new points of advice for this third release of product review updates.
- Are product review updates related to ranked lists and comparative reviews? Yes. Product review updates apply to all forms of review content. Shared best practices also apply. However, the ranked list is short, so you may want to demonstrate your expertise in a more concise way and strengthen your credibility. Cite the appropriate results and include original images of the tests you run on the product is a good way to do this.
- Do you have a review recommendation that recommends the “best” product? If you recommend a product as the best overall or best for a particular purpose, be sure to share with your readers why you think the product is the best. Please. What makes your product different from other products on the market? Why is your product particularly suitable for the purpose for which it is recommended? Be sure to include direct supporting evidence.
- If I create a review for multiple products, do I need to create a separate review for each product? Combine a high-quality, ranked list of related products with detailed single-product reviews for each recommended product. It is effective to create If you do both, make sure the ranked list has enough useful content for it to stand on its own.
Not a core update. Google previously stated that product review updates are not the same as core updates. This is a standalone update called Product Review Update. The company said this is separate from Google’s usual core updates. Nonetheless, Google added that the first piece of advice it provided for Core Updates was “It’s also important to create quality content for Core Updates.” In addition to that advice, Google provided additional guidance specific to this update.
why you care. If your website offers product review content, you should check your rankings to see if you’ve been impacted. Did your Google organic traffic improve, decrease, or stay the same?
In the long term, you will need to put more detail and effort into your product review content to make it unique and stand out from your competitors on the web.
Also, anyone whose work was affected by previous core updates may be rewarded by this July 2022 product review update.
What’s New in Search Engine Land