Earlier this month at SMX Virtual, Google’s John Mueller kindly agreed to speak at the event, sharing many surprising tips and changes to search in his presentation. But he also shared some ideas for his 2021 vision in search and his SEO.
Glenn Gabe took screenshots of these particular slides and shared them on Twitter, but I think you can watch the presentations at SMX Virtual 2020 if you want.
Below are two slides summarizing what to watch for in 2021.
- Core Web Vitals (i.e. page experience updates)
- Sites that are technically good with technical SEO have an advantage
- Technical SEO is generally hard, so ask for help
- Sites should aim to get users to do a “user pull”. People will want to search for you by your brand name.
- Ranking updates will continue, including updates to the hard-to-explain core
- There will be SEO updates to help less SEO-savvy sites like passage indexing, RankBrain, BERT (I don’t think John specifically named these).
- Look for ways to be more visible to users, such as structured data and search verticals
Here are Glenn’s slides:
Added from John: In 2021, there will be even more ways to reach more people in search. In other words, a new way to highlight your content. Google is actively working on this.
— Glenn Gabe (@glenngabe) December 8, 2020
I also wrote up some key insights from John Mueller’s talk at SMX.
forum discussion at twitter.